Recipe for Potted Beef
- 1lb. (453 grams) Shin Beef
- 1/4 level teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- Grating of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcester sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 oz (100 grams) soft table margarine
- A little melted butter
1. Trim excess fat and gristle from meat. Cut meat into one-inch cubes
2. Put in a 1 and 1/2 pint basin with spice, salt, pepper, vinegar, Worcester sauce and water. Cover tightly with foil.
3. Stand basin on a trivet or upturned saucer in a large pan.
4. Pour into the pan sufficient boiling water to come halfway up sides of basin.
5. Cover pan, simmer for 2 and a half hours, checking level of water from time to time.
6. Cool a little, drain meat, reserving the liquor. Mince meat finely, stir in liquor an beat in the margarine. Re-season if necessary.
7. Place in small pots, cover with a little melted butter. Use for sandwiches. This will freeze successfully for one month.