Recipe for Lamb and Broccoli BakeFeeds: 4-6
Make the most of any Sunday leftovers with this quick and easy dish made with juicy lamb and tender broccoli in a delicious white sauce.
- 1kg (2.2lb) cooked roast lamb, cubed
- 375g (12oz) broccoli, cut into florets or small pieces, or any vegetable mix
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 600ml (1pint) milk
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 15ml (1tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 75g (3oz) fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- 30ml (2tbsp) freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 30ml (2tbsp) freshly chopped rosemary
Cook the broccoli in a large pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Refresh in cold water, drain and set aside. To make the white sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat and slowly stir in the milk. Bring to the boil; reduce the heat and simmer, stirring until thickened. Season and add the nutmeg. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion for 1-2 minutes or until soft. Add the lamb and warm through for 2-3 minutes. Add the broccoli and white sauce. Spoon into a 1.2L (2pint) ovenproof dish. Mix together the breadcrumbs and herbs, sprinkle over the lamb and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
For extra convenience buy a ready-made white sauce and replace fresh herbs with dried. For a treat add 60ml (4tbsp) single cream to the white sauce.