Recipe for Gypsy Tart with Caramelised Apple
- Serves 8
- 1 pastry case (10 in x 1½ in deep flan tin) blind baked
- 1 x 400g tin of evaporated milk
- 350g (12oz) dark brown Muscovado sugar
- 1 egg
- Q Preheat the oven to 170C (325F, Gas mark 3). Stir the sugar into the milk until it is dissolved then beat in the egg. Pour the mixture into the pastry case and bake for 20-30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool.
- Caramelised Apples
- 3 Cox or Russet apples
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
Peel, quarter and core the apples and chop into neat dice. Place the sugar in a shallow pan and place it over the heat. Shake the pan occasionally while the sugar melts (do not stir). After the sugar melts, it will start to brown. When it has reached the colour of caramel, put in the apple (take care the sugar is very hot). Now stir the apple around in the caramel until all the apple is coated. If the caramel goes firm like toffee, add a few drops of water.